Monday, August 26, 2013

Pencils, and highlighters, and glue-oh my!--My Pencil Management Plan

Continuing the tour of my "underwater classroom"

 
Nestled underneath my counter in my math workshop area I have a really fun bright pink laundry basket from Target! I was 3.99 and I found it mixed in with the college items. Much more exiting than a boring black or white basket! It's exactly the right size to store my privacy dividers from ReallyGoodStuff.
 
The decorative art on my cabinets came from the Dollar Tree! I ran them through the laminator and used packing tape to flatten them against the cabinets. This way I can still slide them open if I find the need!
 
I love Dollar Tree!! Also got my inflatable palm trees and seahorses there. Already drooling to see what they will have next summer (and for Halloween!!)
 
On my back counter is where I store my extra school supplies and baskets for students to hand in their work from Reader's Workshop (more about that in a future post!)
 
One of my BIGGEST pet peeves is students getting out of their seat and trying to use the pencil sharpener during a lesson. Or to avoid doing work.
 
Not in my room! Students keep a single pencil in their sand pails at their seats (check out a future post for pics!!) if their pencil is dull or the tip breaks they simple place it in the "used" bin and grab a new pencil.
 
Before school or during snack break whoever is the "Quartermaster" for the week (check back for a post and goodies to set up your Pirate Themed job board!!) is responsible for making sure all the pencils are sharpened and have good easers on the ends. 
 
It eliminates the constant noise of the sharpener and makes sure all the kids are ready to go!
 
On my back work table (a space I let groups work together, or have my Tutor meet with a small group) you'll notice a very old fashioned classroom accessory-the mini chalkboard!
 
I have a few of these scattered around my classroom that label different areas--confession time? They're actually a left over prop from my wedding photos!
 
I made them myself and was just not ready to part with them. I bought spray paint chalk paint from Michaels and gathered the frames up on sale from TJ Maxx. I simply removed the glass, spray painted it with the chalkboard paint, and placed the glass back in the frames. Super cute and I love the style it adds to my room.
 
Make sure to check out my next blog post for some ideas on Word Work Stations and some FREEBIES!




Kindergarten, First, Second, Third, Fourth, Fifth, Sixth - TeachersPayTeachers.com

No comments:

Post a Comment